Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer of Service

A message from our president:





I'm trying to think of things I can do that would serve another community. I know that I already do arts related things for human trafficking causes, donate my time to a church, etc. but those are things I have been doing that were easy to do since it's part of who I am and what I do. I want to try to branch out and do something that is challenging for me personally but may be rewarding for others.

I've done habitat for humanity back in Bolivia for one day but I hear that volunteering for Habitat here is a lot different - you camp out and work hard until the house is fully built. In Bolivia, I remember just passing the nuts and bolts to a "real" volunteer. I wouldn't mind doing that.

I also wouldn't mind helping out someone giving their home a green makeover. I've been thinking about how this could be a possibility for people, especially those with low incomes because being green doesn't always seem like it's cheaper. I found many websites though, where it outlines how you can go green and save a lot of money in the process, too. After reading through different ways to conserve energy, waste, water, start composting, recycling, starting an herbal garden, etc., I realize that this is the way people live in Korea, and I'm sure in other countries as well. In these regards I always ask myself why the U.S. is so backwards.

click here to see the video on Causecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?